Zirconium Dental Implants
A recent dental restoration technique is the use of zirconium as an implant material. This is a completely metal-free substance which offers patients a number of advantages. Cosmetically, zirconium implants are very attractive because of their white color and natural appearance. While titanium implants have a metal base that gives them an opaque look that is often dark near the gum line, zirconium features a tooth-like translucency on a base colored to match the shade of the teeth.
Zirconium dental implants are made from a type of ceramic that is strong and long lasting. They do not require any metal to be implanted in the jaw bone either, so the entire implant is created from this naturally-occurring hypoallergenic material. This holistic alternative to metal easily integrates with the bone and contains no toxic elements. As an added benefit, less plaque sticks to the surface of zirconium than metal-based implants, so the nearby gums and teeth can remain healthier.Patients should consult with their dentist to see if zirconium dental implants are available for their dental needs.
- Medline Plus
- National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- U.S. National Library of Medicine